No Bones About It! Vegan No Bones Broth Soup
No Bones About It! This soup is designed to heal the digestive system from the inside out! It is my plant powered version of my With Bones About it Bone Broth Soup. Mineral and antioxidant rich nutrients are just what the doctor called for to help heal your digestive system! Cabbage provides a food source of glutamine which can “heal & seal” the digestive lining by regulating cell division of the intestinal lining. Glutathione also helps to: assist the body to produce glutathione one of the body’s most important antioxidant; optimize the body’s pH; enhance muscle mass; promote detoxification; provide energy to endothelial cells lining blood vessels; it promotes healthy brain function and curb cravings for sugar and alcohol. Other healing foods include: mushrooms for the antioxidant mineral selenium, parsley for blood-producing iron and bone supporting vitamin K, carrots for vitamin A and sea veggies for potassium, calcium, folate and iodine for metabolism. This recipe can be enjoyed anytime you want to give your digestive system a rest …. After yoga, post-workout or including after times of eating unwell….vacations, parties etc.!
Power Food: No Bones About It Broth
Prep. Time: 10 min. (active) | Cook Time: 2 hrs.+| Total Time: 2 hrs+. | Servings: 4 | Serving Size: 2 cups (depending on cooking time)
Free From: Gluten, Dairy, Soy
- ½ cup vegetable stock (low sodium & gluten-free)
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 medium leeks, chopped
- 2 medium onion, sliced
- 10 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Tbsp.+ herbs of choice i.e. rosemary, basil, oregano etc.
- 16 cups+ water, filtered
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 large parsnip, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- ½ cup lemon juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp. each: ginger & turmeric, minced (if fresh turmeric is not available use 1 tsp. dried turmeric)(optional)
- sea salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup kale, minced
- ½ cup parsley, minced
- Add vegetable stock, celery, leeks, onion, garlic and herbs of choice to a large stockpot on medium-high heat and healthy sauté for 2-3 minutes or until onions are aromatic and clear.
- Add water, carrots, parsnip, mushrooms (or veggies of your choice), lemon juice, bay leaves, ginger and turmeric to the stockpot, cover and bring to a gentle boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer with lid slightly ajar and skimming foam off occasionally for at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours (you can turn off at night and resume in the am). Add more water as needed to keep all the ingredients covered. The longer you simmer, the more nutrients rich the soup will be. Season with sea salt and pepper to taste. You can also add all the ingredients to a crock pot after bringing to a gentle boil for 15 minutes or so, skimming off the foam and voila it will all take care of itself! (this is my favourite way to do it!)
- Remove from stove, cool, strain (if you wish just a clear broth soup) and enjoy!. Broth can be stored for up to 7 days in the refrigerator and up to 6 months in the freezer. Just before serving rewarm and add the kale and parsley in the last few minutes to add even more minerals!
Health Nut: Sea Veggies: To kick up the health factor of this recipe even more, you can add sea veggies such as wakame or kombu. Just add it to the last hour of simmering and you’ve got a super powered mineral rich broth. You can find sea veggies at your health food or Asian grocery store.
Nutritional Facts: Coming Soon!
Leave a Reply