Black Bean Brownies
Who knew that brownies could be good for you?! These yummy treats are rich in fibre, protein, disease fighting antioxidants and blood sugar balancing nutrients thanks to the power food black beans! Black beans also contain manganese for your energy, magnesium to help you chill and folate for your heart health. Any why not top with a strawberry for more brain boosting vitamin C!
Power Food: Black Beans
Prep. Time: 5 min. | Cook Time: 15 min. | Total Time: 20 min. | Servings: 9-12 |Serving Size: 1
Free From: Gluten, Dairy, Soy (caution- if adding chocolate chips- may contain soy)
- 1-15 oz. (1.5 cups) can black beans, drained & rinsed well
- 1 banana (increase to 2 for a sweeter version)
- ½ cup quick cook oats
- ¼ cup extra virgin coconut oil (EVCO)
- ¼ cup maple syrup, pure
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract, pure
- 2 Tbsp. cacao powder
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ cup chocolate chips (optional)
- strawberries, to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Fold in chocolate chips (if using), pour into lined muffin tin, filling ¾ full or a greased 8×8 pan. Using the back of a spoon dipped in a little water, smooth out the top of each muffin brownie or full pan
- Cook for 15-18 minutes or until batter pulls away from the edge. Cool for 10 minutes before enjoying or cutting. Note- if they are still soft in the centre – you can refrigerate to set! Decorate with strawberries and enjoy! Refrigerate any leftovers for up to 4 days in the refrigerator or 2 weeks in the freezer.
Nutritional Facts (12, without chocolate chips added) : Calories 105.9 | Total Fat 5.0 g | Saturated Fat 4.0 g | Monounsaturated Fat 0.4 g | Polyunsaturated Fat 0.2 g | Cholesterol 0 mg | Sodium 13.9mg | Potassium 124.9 mg | Total Carbohydrate 14 g | Natural Sugar 5.3 g | Dietary Fiber 2.5 g | Protein 2.4 g | *Manganese 16.3% | *Folate 8.5% | *Magnesium 4.7% *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs
Leave a Reply