Eggplant Curry Lasagna
While eating all the colours of the rainbow… think eggplants to add more purple foods to your menu! Eggplants can help your brain power thanks to nasunin a potent antioxidant and free radical scavenger that helps to protect cell membranes from environmental damage. These purple beauties also have Vitamin K and bioflavonoids to strengthen capillaries and keep your vessels flowing. Simply delicious grilled with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar and kicked up a notch in this warming eggplant (no noodle) curry plant powered lasagna.
Eggplant Curry Lasagna
Power Food: Eggplant
Prep time: 10 min. | Cook Time: 50 min. | Total Time: 60 min. |Serves: 12 | Serving Size: 1 slice
Free From: Gluten & Dairy
- 3 medium eggplants, top & bottom sliced off & sliced thinly (1/2 inch thick)
- ¼ cup extra virgin coconut oil (EVCO), melted, divided
- 1 large onion, minced (or ½ onion & ½ leek)
- 1 cup kale, minced (optional)
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups mushrooms, pulsed in a food processor lightly (to resemble ground beef)
- ½ cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- 2-28 oz. can tomatoes, chopped, organic, drained
- 1-14 oz. can coconut milk, full fat
- 2 tsp.+ Thai green curry paste
- 2 tsp. each: sea salt, dried basil & oregano
- 2 large, tomatoes, sliced, for garnish
- Sprinkle of hemp seeds, few sprigs of basil, balsamic vinegar to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400˚F
- Place eggplant on parchment lined baking sheets in a single layer. Brush lightly with melted EVCO (reserving the rest of the EVCO for sautéing) and bake for 20 minutes or until soft, turning once half way through.
- In a very large skillet, add the remaining EVCO, onion, leeks and garlic. Sauté for 1-2 minutes until onions are aromatic. Add mushrooms, pecans, tomatoes, tomato sauce, coconut milk, Thai green curry paste, basil, oregano and sea salt to taste. Bring to a light boil and set aside.
- Now you’re ready to make lasagna layers! In a large lasagna dish, spread the curry mixture. Then add a layer of eggplant, repeat with two more layers of curry mixture and eggplant or until you have reached the top of the lasagna pan.
- Add sliced tomatoes on top to garnish. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before cutting. Sprinkle with hemp seeds, basil leaves and drizzle with balsamic vinegar if desired. Yum!
Nutritionals per Serving: Calories 172.3 | Total Fat 11.1 g | Saturated Fat 5.9 g | Monounsaturated Fat 2.2 g | Polyunsaturated Fat 2.2 g | Trans Fat 0 g | Cholesterol 0 mg | Sodium 127.9 mg | Total Carbohydrate 16.6 g | Natural Sugar 3 g | Dietary Fiber 5.9 g | Protein 4.8 g | *Vitamin A 37.5 % | *Vitamin C 30.8% | * Manganese 28.4 % *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs
One Response to “Eggplant Curry Lasagna”
Leave a Reply