Luscious Locks Salad
Want shiny luscious locks? Better looking hair can start with your next meal! This recipe is full of nutrients that help to fortify the hair follicle- from which each strand is born- and the scalp around it. Healthy follicles lead to healthy strands, lead to healthy scalp and voila! Healthy hair! Avocados provide healthy fats that help your hair shine, while sweet potatoes are rich in beta-carotene to reduce dryness further. Walnuts provide omega-3 fatty acids (more shine!), biotin (when deficient can lead to hair loss) and Vitamin E, which protects your cells from DNA damage from excess sun. Tiny but powerful lentils are teeming with protein, iron, zinc and biotin. Of course your best results are going to be when combined with exercise, enough sleep and optimal hormonal balance.
Feature Super Food: Avocado
Prep Time: 10 min. | Cook Time: 0 min. | Total Time: 10 min | Serves: 4 | Serving Size: ~ 2 cups
Free From: Dairy, Soy, Gluten
- 1 sweet potato, spiraled or julienned
- 4 cups spinach (or other mixed greens), minced
- 1-15 oz. can lentils, drained & rinsed
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted & diced
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- ½ cup blueberries
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half or red & yellow bell peppers, diced
- 1/2 cup pomegranates (if in season)
- ¼ cup each: walnuts, hemp seeds to garnish
- 1/2 cup sunflower sprouts (microgreens) or other sprouts to garnish
Honey Chia Dressing:
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar (ACV)
- 1 Tbsp. each: chia seeds & honey
- Pinch sea salt
- Dash of turmeric (or fresh turmeric minced which you can find in your Indian/Specialty grocery store… it tastes & looks similar to ginger but smaller!)
- Add sweet potatoes to each serving plate, and top with a layer of spinach.
- In a medium sized serving bowl, add lentils, avocado, onion, blueberries, cherry tomatoes, and pomegranates (if using). Toss lightly. Place on top of spinach layer in serving bowls.
- Add EVOO, ACV, chia seeds, honey, sea salt and turmeric to a blender. Blend until smooth. Drizzle on top of salad just before serving and garnish with walnuts, hemp seeds and a handful of sunflower sprouts. Enjoy your luscious locks!
Nutritional Facts: Calories 399.2 | Total Fat 28.8 g | Saturated Fat 3.1 g | Polyunsaturated Fat 11.2 g | Monounsaturated Fat 9.1 g | Cholesterol 0 mg| Sodium 33.1 mg | Potassium 660.7 mg | Total Carbohydrate 36.3 g | Dietary Fiber 10.2 g| Natural Sugars 10.2 g | Protein 12.1 g | *Vitamin A 187.5 % | *Manganese 49.6 % | * Folate 45.5 % *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Leave a Reply