Roasted Mushroom Immune Soup
An immune boosting soup filled with nourishing mushrooms to keep you warm & help ward off colds, flues and viruses! Mushrooms are rich in beta glucan which help to activate your macrophages that act like your packmen, gobbling up those nasty bugs, reducing inflammation and keeping you healthy! Thyme and garlic compliment the immune power of mushrooms by providing more antimicrobial support. So keep warm and enjoy!
Feature Super Food: Mushrooms
Prep. Time: 5 min. | Cook Time: 18 min. | Total Time: 23 min. | Servings: 4 | Serving Size: 2 cups
Free From: Gluten, Dairy, Soy
- 1 cup each: shitake & oyster mushrooms stems removed, diced
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups of vegetable stock (low sodium, gluten free), divided
- 1-1/2 inch knob of ginger, minced
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 leek, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. fresh thyme, minced
- 1 cup each: carrots, rutabaga, minced
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup enoki mushrooms, ends trimmed
- ¼ cup chives, chopped to garnish
Cashew Cream: (optional)
- ¼ cup+ water
- 1 cup cashews (soaked overnight, optional)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF. Place shitake and oyster mushrooms on a parchment lined baking sheet. Drizzle with EVOO and garlic. Roast for 5-6 minutes or until aromatic. (note you can also pan roast mushrooms by adding to the onion mixture and skip this step). Set aside.
- Add ¼ cup of the vegetable stock to a large stockpot, sauté the ginger, onions, leek and thyme for 3-4 minutes until the onions are clear and aromatic on medium-high heat. Add remaining vegetable stock, carrots, rutabaga, sea salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to low-medium, add roasted mushrooms and simmer for 5-10 minutes or until carrots are fork tender.
For a broth version, ladle into bowls garnish with enoki mushrooms and chives. For a creamier version, make the cashew cream by placing water and cashews in a blender. Blend until smooth adding more water if needed. Temper the cashew cream into the soup by removing some soup, placing into a bowl, stirring in the cashew cream, mixing and returning to the stockpot. Simmer for an additional few minutes until the soup is thoroughly warmed. Ladle into bowls garnish with enoki mushrooms and chives. P.S. you can add a hit of cayenne pepper to help clear your sinus if you’re feeling hot hot hot!
Leave a Reply