What is CranioSacral Therapy?
CranioSacral Therapy (CST) is a gentle, hands on method of evaluating and enhancing the functioning of a physiological body system called the Craniosacral system – comprised of the membranes and cerebrospinal fluid that surround and protect the brain and spinal cord. When this system is not balanced restrictions occur. With CST these restrictions are opened up and thus one’s central nervous system and optimal health may resume.
This is accomplished through using the body’s system called the Craniosacral system , which maintains the environment in which the central nervous system functions. It consists of the membranes and cerebral spinal fluid that surround and protect the brain and spinal cord, extending from the bones of the skull, face and mouth ( which make up the cranium) down to the tailbone area ( or sacrum ). The roles of this system in the development and performance of the brain and spinal cord is so vital that an imbalance or dysfunction in it can cause sensory, motor and or neurologic disabilities.
The Craniosacral system normally has a rhythm that can be felt throughout the body. Using a gentle touch approximating the weight of a nickel , skilled Craniosacral Therapists can monitor this rhythm at key points to pinpoint the source of an obstruction or stress. Once a source has been determined, the therapist can open restrictions in diaphragms affected by assisting the natural movement of the fluid and related soft tissue to help the body self-correct. This simple action is often all it takes to remove restriction that presents itself in each person as a symptom.
How does it Work?
CranioSacral Therapy works by assisting the body’s natural healing mechanisms release the negative effects of stress on the central nervous system.
What is the History of CranioSacral Therapy?
CST was pioneered and developed by osteopathic physician Dr. John E. Upledger following extensive scientific studies from 1975 to 1983 at Michigan State University, where he served as a clinical researcher and Professor of Biomechanics.
Is it safe for children and the elderly?
The extremely light touch involved in the application of CST makes it a safe approach for children, infants, newborns and the elderly.
Are there any conditions in which CST shouldn’t be used?
Any condition in which there is a concern of increased intracranial pressure such as: acute aneurysm, cerebral hemorrhage or other pre-existing severe bleeding disorders would be contraindicated.
How many CST sessions will I need?
Response in each individual varies and will be assessed according to your health concerns. A common frequency is one treatment per week for 3 weeks then reduced to once a month maintenance.
What is the Upledger Institute?
The Upledger Institute is a health resource center located in Palm Beach Gardens, Florida founded by Dr. Upledger , that’s recognized worldwide for its ground-breaking continuing education programs, clinical research and therapeutic services.
To Book An Appointment Click here or Call 613-829-7100
What Conditions can it help?
Because of its influence on the functioning of the central nervous system, CranioSacral Therapy can benefit the body in a number of ways: from bolstering overall health and resistance to disease to alleviating a wide range of specific medical conditions.
- Head, neck or back pain and or injuries
- Birth traumas of infants
- Headaches, Migraines
- Stress, Anxiety, Depression, OCD
- Insomnia, Fatigue
- Digestive Concerns: Colic
- Autism, ADD/ADHD , Learning Concerns
- Eye Motor Coordination Concerns i.e. Autism, Dyslexia
- Loss of Taste or Smell
- Tinnitus, Vertigo
- Neuralgias i.e. Sciatica and tic douloureux
- Traumatic Brain and Spinal Cord Injuries
- Post-Surgical Dysfunction
- Infant Birth Traumas or Concerns
- Post Delivery in Pregnancy
- Along with people with chronic symptoms that haven’t been aided from other approaches.
- It is important to arrive 10-15 minutes before your scheduled appointment to allow for relaxation before the treatment.
- Vigorous exercise or sexual activity in the hour before treatment is not recommended.
- It is best to not to have recently eaten a large meal, nor should you be fasting for more than 6 hours before your appointment.
- The use of alcohol, tobacco, or other drugs is also not recommended prior to or just following a treatment.
- Comfortable, loose clothing should be worn, and, if possible, you should not wear any metallic jewelry, watches, or earrings.
- Makeup and nail polish should be minimized or eliminated.
- Please also avoid the use of perfumes, colognes or strongly scented cosmetics.
What about the research?
- Power Foods 101 Book
- HOW DO I GET STARTED?
- HORMONES IN GENERAL
- Power Up Boot Camp
- Now to Wow©
- Clean to Lean©
- Power Hormones
- Integrative Cardiology
- Naturopathic Medicine
- Bowen Therapy
- Craniosacral Therapy
- LAB TESTING
- Natural Pharmacy
- FEES & INSURANCE
- BENEFITS & RISKS
- YOUR HEALTH , BALANCE & VITALITY
- Chiropractic Care
- Corporate Health
- NATURAL REMEDIES, LIFESTYLE & PRESCRIPTION