Coconut Cranberry Ice Cream
Cranberries have brain boosting power, so if you want to stay brilliant, be sure to snack on cranberries! Their antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds protect the brain from age-related memory and coordination loss, according to Tufts University research.
Power Food: Cranberries
Total Time: 20 min. + | Servings: 4 |Serving Size: 1 cup
Free From: Gluten, Dairy, Soy
- ½ cup dates, pitted (if dry, soak in warm water for 10 minutes then drain) or 10 drops of stevia
- 2 Tbsp.+ hot water, filtered
- 2-13.5 oz. cans coconut milk, full fat, chilled overnight in the refrigerator
- ½ cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract, pure
- 1 cup cranberries, frozen or your *favourite fruit, nuts or chocolate!
- Put a blender container in the freezer to chill for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, add dates and hot water to a food processor. Process until it forms a thick paste, adding more hot water if needed. Set aside.
- Keeping the cans of coconut milk flat on the counter, scoop out the coconut milk that sits on top of the can, reserving the liquid for other uses (a smoothie or to healthy sauté your veggies!). Place in chilled blender container and blend until creamy and smooth. Add almond milk, vanilla and half of the date paste. Blend until completely mixed. Taste and adjust flavors as suits your taste buds, adding more date paste if desired.
- Fold in cranberries (or for a pink ice cream, add to blender and blend until smooth). Transfer to a parchment paper lined freezer safe container (9” X 5” loaf pan) and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Place foil covering on top, which helps it freeze. It is ready in a few hours for a chilled mousse-like ice cream or freeze overnight for a firmer ice cream. Set out for 15-20 minutes prior to serving to ease scooping. Keeps up to 1 week in the freezer, but best when fresh!
- Chocolate Cranberry: Add ¾ cup cacao powder.
- Pecan Cinnamon: Omit the cranberries and add ¾ cup pecans and 1 tsp. cinnamon.
- Walnut Vanilla: Omit the cranberries and add ¾ cup walnuts and 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract.
- Strawberry Cranberry Lemon: Add ½ cup strawberries and 2 tsp. lemon zest.
- Papaya & Pineapple: Omit the cranberries and add 1 cup of papaya and pineapple.
Nutritional Facts: Calories 94 | Total Fat 2.3 g | Saturated Fat 1.3 g | Monounsaturated Fat 0.5 g | Polyunsaturated Fat 0.1 g | Cholesterol 0 mg | Sodium 75.3 mg | Potassium 219.7 mg | Total Carbohydrate 19.2 g | Natural Sugar 15.6 g | Dietary Fiber 2.2 g | Protein 1.2 g | *Vitamin E 18.9 % | * Vitamin D 9.4 % | * Calcium 29.0 %
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Leave a Reply