Why be Concerned?
Detox- Are you feeling: bloated, sluggish, pain, fatigued, headaches, irritable or having skin symptoms such as eczema? These are just a few concerns that can be relieved from doing a detoxification!
Why do we all need to consider detox as a part of our regular health care?
Most of us are exposed to at least 10 different chemical products before we even leave our homes in the morning. We also produce by products that our body’s have to clear daily from weakened systems such as digestion which leads to patterns of inflammation . Inflammation is linked to lifestyle diseases such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, arthritis and cancer. Thus everyone can benefit from committing to doing a detox at least twice a year. The most optimal time is after any time of indulgences especially after the holidays.
How do you know which type of detox is right for you and how long do you need to do it for?
At Optihealth we determine this by assessing two parameters:
- Lab Testing- we test for which type of detox is a match for you and monitor when how effective the program is for you determining the duration of the detox. o Medical Symptoms Questionnaire (MSQ)- Fill yours out today… Addendum 1
This is also the time of year where many people are travelling and are making their lists for preparation.
What are the considerations from a Integrative Health perspective?
There are some simple remedies that can make your holiday stay more pleasant.
What are the Health Connections?
Toxicity in the body can remain between the cells and inside the cells. When you perspire you begin to naturally clean the body between the cells. Deeper cleansing inside the cells will occur with perspiration after 30 minutes prompted by activities such as: exercise, infrared sauna and medically supervised detoxification. Many people believe that detoxification is not eating but the latest advances integrate dietary changes with remedies geared toward supporting all our organs of elimination. These organs include the skin, kidneys, lungs, bowls and urinary system. The health connections that lead to higher need to detoxify are when an individual is under stress for longer durations of time. This pathway relates to the 10 phases of the Health Wellness Spectrum ( HWS) ©. Thus in order to choose the right detox program you need to know which phase your health is in.
- Phase 1-The Nervous System – Overstimulation from stress leads to a Sympathetic Dominant State ( States of Energy ) This is compared with the Parasympathetic State ( States of Rest , Healing , Growth and Digestion) Phase 2- The Adrenal Gland 1 and 2. Adrenal 1 fight and flight hormones, Adrenal 2 fatigue and recovery Phase 3- Digestion– up to 70% of Immunity can be related to digestion Phase 4 -Thyroid, Ovaries/Prostate, Liver– Leads to hormonal changes and toxicity Phase 5- Acute Inflammation – Cyotkinine Syndrome- Achiness, Fatigue, Generalized Unwell Feeling Phase 6-Weak Immunity – Frequent Colds, Flus , Strep, Allergies, Asthma Phase 7-Chronic Inflammation-Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Phase 8-Early Disease-Headaches, PMS, Hypoglycemia, Skin concerns Phase 9-Moderate Risk Disease Phase 10-High Risk Disease-CVD, Diabetes, Arthritis, Cancer
For details of each phase see www.optihealth.ca and Newsletter April Allergies, Asthma and Eczema 2008
What about Bowel Detox ?
You are what you eat and if your body is under stress in the sympathetic mode of the nervous system it doesn’t produce enough digestive enzymes to break down your foods. This leads to inflammation and wearing away of the mucosal lining that protects the digestive tract or leaky bowel syndrome. The delicate eco system of friendly bacteria and micro organisms such as yeast may then be compromised leading to dysbiosis or imbalance. When this happens you begin to show digestive symptoms and reduce absorption of nutrients. The focus of a bowel detox is thus to repair these mechanisms.
What about Liver Detox?
The liver’s role is to detoxify, break down and reform hormones from cholesterol. It has two stages in its detox mechanism. The first is cytochrome P450 which requires B vitamins for its role. The second requires amino acids which are broken down from proteins in your foods. Thus in order for the liver to do its job correctly it needs optimal digestion and nutrition including those B vitamins and proteins.
What are our Natural Treatment Options?
- Learn which detox is right for you.
- Exercise- perspiration for 30 minutes , 3 times per week
- Water– half your body weight in ounces per day
- Lemon in warm water -1/2 in 1 cup of warm water every morning
- Apple cider vinegar– 2 tbsp / day aids in alkalizing the body and reduces inflammation
- Medically formulated detox products that are formulated to be very high in B vitamins and amino acids for liver detoxing
- Medically formulated detox products that are formulated to reduce parasites or yeast, with added fiber to scrub the intestinal lining clean and binding products to assist safe removal from your system.
- Homeopathic Unda remedies- target various body systems such as liver, digestion, hormones, patterns of inflammation
- Herbals such as:
- Milk Thistle- assists the liver in cleansing and regenerating cells Dandilion– assists the liver in cleansing, eliminates deposits in the gallbladder and kidneys Stinging Nettle-purifies, diuretic, stimulates digestive function , regulates blood sugar Savory– aids in digestion Corn hair– significantly improves kidney function Wheat germ-antioxidant, detoxifying and oxygenates the blood Wild pansy-purifies, favors the elimination of toxins from the liver and kidneys, aids digestion and is an antioxidant Green Tea-rich in vitamin C, aids digestion and is an antioxidant Peppermint-aids digestion, diuretic, intestinal antiseptic
- Diet-Avoid or minimize high fat foods or alcohol- which may lead to gastrointestinal concerns.
- Colubrina– a homeopathic remedy for if you have overindulged in rich foods or alcohol and fell stomach pains, intestinal cramps or constipation. .Carbo Vegetalis- for bloating burping and flatus after meals.
- Ferrumm phosphorus-for nosebleeds due to pressure changes
- Gelsemium or Jet Lag Homeopathic Remedy ( Often combinations of :Arnica, Bellis perennis, Ipecac, Chamomila and Lycopodium)- reduces the stress of time changes on the body.
- Aconitum-a homeopathic remedy that can be beneficial if you are nervous or anxious about travelling.
- Coffea– to assist sleeping on a long journey, especially when your mind is overactive ( like when you have taken too much coffee) and churning over all the things you may have forgotten.
- Cocculus indicus ( homeopathically) or Ginger Capsules -if you are prone to travel sickness
- Arnica Montana– for long travels where you may need to sit extendedly and thus experience stiff and aching muscles
- Cuprum metallicum- a homeopathic remedy if you wake with cramps, especially in the calf muscles which maybe due to inadequate salt intake or excessive loss of salt.
- Acidophillus-to prevent digestive upset or traveler’s diarrhea
- Astragalus– to stimulate immunity especially for long flights with increased exposure
Natural Encylopedia Pizzorno and Murray Excellent overall Natural Treatment approaches
Newsletter Written By Dr. Joel Lee Villeneuve Naturopathic Doctor and Wellness Consultant
Addendum 1- Medical Symptoms Questionnaire
Reprinted with courtesy from Metagenics
Medical Symptoms Questionnaire-MSQ Which type of Detox is right for you?
Patient Name _____________________________ Date _________________ Week _________
Rate each of the following symptoms based upon your typical health profile for:
Rate each of the following symptoms based upon your typical health profile for:
___Past 30 days ___Past 48 hours
0-Never or almost never have the symptom
1-Occasionally have it, effect is not severe
2-Occasionally have it, effect is severe
3-Frequently have it, effect is not severe
4-Frequently have it , effect is severe
For an assessment of which detox is right for you call 613-829-7100
Watery or itchy eyes___
Swollen, reddened or sticky eyelids___
Blurred or tunnel vision ( does not include near or far sighted)___
Bags or dark circles under the eyes___
Itchy Ears ___
Earaches, ear infections ___
Drainage from ear ___
Ringing in ears, hearing loss ___
Excessive mucus formation___
Gaggin, frequent need to clear throat___
Sore throat, hoarseness, loss of voice___
Swollen or discoloured tongue, gums, lips___
Hives, rashes,dry skin___
Flushing, hot flashes___
Irregular or skipped beat___
Rapid or pounding heartbeat___
High blood pressure___
Shorness of breath___
Intestinal /Stomach Pain___
Aches/Pains in joints___
Stiffness or limitation of movement___
Aches/Pains in muscles___
Feeling of weakness or tiredness___
Binge eating /drinking___
Craving certain foods___
Confusion, poor comprehension___
Poor physical coordination___
Difficulty in making decisions___
Stuttering or stammering___
Anxiety, fear, nervousness___
Anger, irritability, aggression___
Frequent or urgent urination___
Genital itch or discharge___
If you scored:
50-100 and digestion section less than 10- Liver light
50-100 and digestion section greater than 10-Liver and Digestion
>100 and digestion section less than 10-Liver deep
>100 and digestion section greater than 10-Inflammation, Liver and Digestion
>150 Inflammation deep, Liver and Digestion
Consult with your Naturopathic Doctor to begin your personalized Detox that is right for you!