Dr. Joël ND’s Pre-Workout Smoothie
What Does Dr. Joël ND Eat To Power Up Her Day? I enjoy this pre-workout smoothie 20-30 minutes before I exercise. The Matcha green tea helps to nourish the adrenal glands and increase epinephrine to mobilize extra stored energy to power my workout. L-Theanine from green tea helps to boost energy and reset stress by calming your nervous system. Hemp seeds add protein, while the fruit gives you quick acting fuel. Lastly the coconut oil is a source of MCTs (medium chain triglycerides) that provide more fast acting energy!
Power Food: Green Tea (Matcha)
Total Time: 5 min. | Servings: 2 | Serving Size: 2 cups (medium sized Mason jar)
Free From: Gluten, Dairy, Soy
- 1 tsp. Matcha green tea
- 1 cup almond milk, unsweetened
- 1 cup each: pineapple & frozen mango
- 1 frozen banana (or 1 avocado, pitted & peeled)
- 3 Tbsp. hemp seeds
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin coconut oil (EVCO)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract, pure
- 4 mint leaves
- Place Matcha green tea, almond milk, pineapple, mango, banana, hemp seeds, EVCO, vanilla extract and mint leaves in a blender.
- Blend until smooth and enjoy!
*Health Buzz: What is Matcha green tea? Matcha is a premium green tea powder made from Japan that is used in their tea ceremonies and was used by Zen Buddist monks to remain alert and calm during long hours of meditation. It is made from grinding the whole leaves which have been grown in the shade to increase their chlorophyll content. When the tea is made the entire leaves are dissolved in water rather than steeped in bags, giving it much more concentration. Matcha green tea helps to support metabolism, the reduction of stress, immunity, cholesterol-reduction and cancer prevention. This is due to its powerful antioxidant content. One cup of Matcha green tea has as many as 10 cups of regular tea, 6.2 times that of goji berries, 7 times that of dark chocolate, 17 times that of wild blueberries and 60.5 times that of spinach! You can find it at your health food store.
Nutritional Facts : Calories 189.2 | Total Fat 9.3 g | Saturated Fat 4.2 g | Monounsaturated fat 1.2 g | Polyunsaturated Fat 0.8 g | Cholesterol 0 mg | Sodium 90.5 mg | Potassium 286.5 mg | Total Carbohydrate 31.2 g | Dietary Fiber 3.1 g | Natural Sugar 24.6 g | Protein 12.5 g | *Vitamin E 27.1 % | *Vitamin A 22.6 % |* Calcium 15.6%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
- Weiss DJ, Anderton CR., Determination of catechins in matcha green tea by micellar electrokinetic chromatography., J Chromatogr A. 2003 Sep 5;1011(1-2):173-80.m , PMID:14518774
- Xin-Xin Zheng, Yan-Lu Xu, et al. Green tea intake lowers fasting serum total and LDL cholesterol in adults: a meta-analysis of 14 randomized controlled trials Am J Clin Nutr August 2011.
- Abdul G Dulloo, Claudette Duret, et al. Efficacy of a green tea extract rich in catechin polyphenols and caffeine in increasing 24-h energy expenditure and fat oxidation in humans. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 70, No. 6, 1040-1045, December 1999
Leave a Reply