Healthy Eating Grocery List
Ok, you’ve either decided to start eating healthier, OR you have just been diagnosed with food allergies or sensitivities. So where do you start? Follow these steps, and you’ll be well on your way! Also, remember Rome wasn’t built in a day…. so take your time and ask for help!
New! Cooking Classes
Step 1 CLEAN HOUSE
“Reality is only seen when the mirror is clean” author unknown
Spring clean your kitchen!
- Sugar– Get rid of anything that has more than 10 grams of sugar per serving remember to read the serving size and be realistic as to that is really what size you would eat)
- Salt- Get rid of anything that has more than 300 mg of sodium per serving (your daily max is about 1200 mg which is just over 1/2 of salt/ day)
- Additives & Preservatives – Optimally, get rid of anything that has additives and preservatives. Now this will eliminate most prepackaged food & condiments – so….Realistically….reduce to only very small & very occasional amounts.
- Coloring Agents – Unless colored using natural food dyes and coloring agents watch for anything that may have chemically derived coloring agents, i.e. red dye, tartrazine dye (this one is the yellowish color that some cheese, candies, and so on have). Don’t forget your vitamins and minerals! Many pharmaceutical companies when they get into making supplements rely on the chemical dyes they use for drugs to make them look “pretty” that our body doesn’t need!
- Trans Fats- Anything that has Trans fats is like mud in our vessels, and we need clean blood vessels to bring us oxygen for energy! These were developed so that the shelf life of process foods would be extended but not necessarily with health in mind. So say bye-bye to anything that has these.
- White bread & pasta– These have very little fiber, which is the broom that sweeps our body’s house clean! So switch to whole grains like whole-wheat pasta or try gluten-free options like quinoa, brown rice or bean kinds of pasta.
7. Flowers – Ok great job! Now that feels good not only are you saving the environment from all that packaging, but you are one step further to optimal healthy living for you and your family! So treat yourself to some fresh flowers! They’re sure to put a smile on your face!
Step 2 MENU & PLANNING
Measure twice and cut once! Planning helps you shop efficiently and have fun while you are at it!
- Cue Card
If you have food allergies or sensitivities, write down all the hidden and keywords that you need to be on the lookout for in reading labels that doesn’t have the name of your food sensitivity or allergy i.e.
- Dairy: lactose, lactic acid, whey, casein, caseinate
- Eggs: albumin
- Wheat: farina, semolina, cous cous, bulgur, kamut
- Gluten: wheat, rye, barley, oatmeal, malt…
- Corn: dextrose
- Write down your family’s favourite 7-day menu making changes where needed according to the above.
- For the exchanges and replacements for food sensitivities
- A simple sample menu for watching your waistline
- A sample 7 day hypoallergenic detox menu option to try that you can mix and match
- Allergy-Free Recipes
- Kids Nutrition… information coming soon!
- Infant Introducing Solid Foods
- Athletes Adults… information coming soon!
- Athletes Kids… information coming soon!
Step 3 HIT THE GROCERY STORE
Now let’s make it easy to have what is good to eat by making it handy!
- Try a new recipe OR fruit or veggie each week.
- To make it fun for the kids, get them to look at recipe books and have them pick the new recipe or food of the week!
- Research shows the more vegan you go (free from animal products, i.e. meats, eggs, dairy) the reduced risk for cancer, cardiovascular disease, arthritis, pain, and diabetes you are at risk for. (American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol 59, 1153S-1161S, Copyright © 1994 by The American Society for Clinical Nutrition, Inc.)
- If you are going vegan ensure you take extra B12 and have your health care team check your blood levels annually.
Fresh Produce Aisle
- Load up on your favourite fruits and veggies. You want to have your plate 3/4 full with veggies each lunch and dinner time. Think about having a veggie lightly steamed AND a salad. If you are trying to slim down, use the low glycemic index ones the most!
- Ensure you get 2 cups of dark green salads twice a day! Try Kale, Collard Greens, Dandelion Greens, and Beet Greens as a base for a salad or mix with your other leafy greens for the salad base. Quick tip – some have a hard vein in the middle. Simply rip the dark green leaf portion off the vein and tear into bite-size pieces for any of your favourite salad recipes.
- Farmboy Lemon Garlic Dressing. A lite refreshing marinate and or dressing for any dish.
- Bragg’s Soy Sauce Dressing- Give you a soy sauce option that is wheat-free and an extra boost of amino acids which are important for energy and detoxing!
- Les Soueurs En Vrac’s Fish Seasoning- These can be found in the meat section of your grocery store in beautiful silver tins with clear lids so you can see the spices. I throw this one on anything I make!
- Sugar-Free Ketchup– You can find these in the health food section OR make your own.
- Mustard- Low cal option that adds flavor to any dressing.
- Tahini- made with ground sesame seeds – a great base for any sauce simply add a bit of nut butter for an oriental flair or serve plain on any veggie.
- Olives & Capers- flavor your meals and give you a touch of healthy fats.
- Guacamole– take your favourite recipe and add 1/2 the amount of avocado with 1/2 the amount of peas (which boost the protein content!) Again give you a touch of healthy fats!
- Low Sodium Soy Sauces & Fresh Herbs!!!
- Veggie Broth-Best Option (Just save your kitchen scraps from cutting your veggies and boil weekly to make a stock, put in ice cube trays and use when needed!)
- Grapeseed Oil – Better Option. Best for high heat, note it is best to use veggie broth instead.
- Other Oils- Other Oils for cooking –
- Omega 3 Oils Increase in your diet – Flax, Linseed, Soy, Walnut, Wheat germ, Bean, Canola, Chestnut
- Omega 3 Foods-
- Omega 6 Oils – a Higher ratio of w-6 to 2-3 In Moderation in your diet– Vegetable, Corn, Safflower, Olive, Sunflower, Cottonseed, Peanut
- Earth Balance Spreads – Vegan option
- Maple Syrup
- Apple Sauce
- For more sugar-free options
- Water, Water, Water! For information on High-Quality Water
- Herbal Teas You can have these hot or cold!
- Fruit juices, Gatorade, Vitamin water! – These are all full of sugar, some of the chemical coloring agents that our body doesn’t need. Stick to freshwater, fruits, and veggies that give your body nutrition! These also cause a spike in blood sugar than a drop. If you need an electrolyte replacement try coconut water (you can get at your health food or grocery store) OR a colloidal mineral to drop in your water for before and post-exercise! (Talk to your health care team about colloidal minerals) or make an appointment.
- Nature’s Path Whole O’s- Free From Gluten, Dairy, and Eggs. Made with brown rice and corn, has small amounts of sugar. A great alternative to cheerios! Kids love this one
- Nature’s Path Mesa Sunrise- Free From Gluten, Dairy, Eggs. Made with corn, flax, buckwheat, quinoa, and amaranth. A nice flake type cereal which you can easily add dried berries or raisins to.
- Nature’s Path Gorilla Munch- Free From Gluten, Dairy, Eggs. Made with corn. This one, your kids, will love!
- Lifestream Buckwheat Waffles– Free From Gluten, Dairy, Eggs, and Nuts. The kids big and small will love this one. Easy to pop in the toaster!
- Hot quinoa, teff, amaranth or oatmeal (GF) cereal– Free From Gluten, Dairy, Eggs, Nuts, Corn, Soy. Simply add 1 cup grain to 2 cups of water put in a rice cooker press the button, and in 20 minutes you are good to go! Try cooking before you go to bed, and then leave on the counter overnight for a quick start option. Add some berries a little milk alternative, and you’ve got a really nutritious breakfast.
- Quinoa muffins You can use any other flour in this recipe to suit your needs and replace the Eggs if needed
Lunch or Dinner
Buy Proteins such as Lean Poultry & Fish; Veggies – Lots of fresh Vegies, and salad fixings; & Quinoa, Brown Rice, Sweet Potatoes for your carbs
Remember when and or if your digestion is in the process of healing, it is easier to digest warm and slow-cooked meals. It helps begin the digestive process!
- Vietnamese Rice Wraps with Salad
- Brown Rice Wraps (you can find these in the health food section of your grocery store, frozen food area) with veggies, 2 Tbsp. tahini mixed with 1 tsp cashew butter dressed on top of veggies
- Hummus with veggies
- Protein such as beans mixed with Farmboy lemon dressing and cut veggies OR salmon baked with your favourite dark green salad
- Poached Salmon with Edamame Beans, Shitake Mushrooms & Ginger with your favourite veggies AND dark green salad
- Mushroom Tarragon Noodles with your favourite dark green salad
- Green Goddess Soup with your favourite protein and veggie
Finish your meal with a fruit!
SNACKS & MUNCHIES!
Ok, it’s time to relax!
- Enjoy a herbal tea hot or cold
- A protein shake simply mix with milk alternative or water in a mason jar and enjoy!
- Baked Tortilla Chips with salsa
- Hot air-popped popcorn with cinnamon (and a touch of maple syrup if needed)
- a few nuts, i.e., almonds, walnuts with an apple
- Trail mix
- Baked Kale Chips
- Mixed Berries with Granola
For kids help them grab healthy choices by leaving fresh apples, oranges, and trail mix on the counter, so it’s easy for them to grab!
Step 4 ATMOSPHERE
- RELAX-You need to be relaxed for your body to release enzymes to digest! So remember to sit with nice music, conversation, and even candles! Eating standing up, on the run, in front of the TV or computer at your desk are surefire reasons why the digestive system gets stressed, leading to heartburn, bloating, and gas.
- CHEW-Don’t forget your teeth were created for a reason! You need to help the body breakdown your foods by breaking it down into smaller parts. So take time to chew!
- ENJOY! – When you smile, you release lots of good hormones that aide digestion so tell a story or two and SMILE!
Step 5 THE NEXT LEVEL MAKING YOUR BEAUTY PRODUCTS & HOME HEALTHY!
- High-Quality Water
- Natural Beauty & Home Solutions
Congrats you are well on your way to enjoying life in vitality, balance, and empowerment!