Tarragon Mushroom Tourtiere
This lighter version of a classic has an open crust for half the pastry, and guess what it’s made of? Almonds, which make our Paleo friends happy. The mushroom chickpea filling is oh so delicious and partnered with the antioxidant powers of tarragon. Fresh tarragon has one of the highest antioxidant values of all of the common herbs. Its total measured ORAC (Oxygen radical absorbance capacity) value is 15,542 trolex equivalents (TE) per 100g, the measure used to assess antioxidant strength. This helps keep your joints limber, reduce inflammation, and reduce free radicals, helping us stay young, not only at heart, but in body too!
Power Food: Tarragon
Prep. Time: 10 min. | Cook Time: 20 min. | Total Time: 30 min. | Servings: 8 | Serving Size: 1 slice
Free From: Gluten, Dairy, Soy
Awesome Almond Crust:
- 2 cups almond flour
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin coconut oil (EVCO)
- 1 “chia egg” (1 Tbsp. chia seeds & 5 Tbsp. water, mix & set aside for 5 minutes to thicken)
Beet Cranberry Sauce:
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cranberries, frozen
- 1 small beet, peeled & minced
- 2 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 tsp. maple syrup, pure (grade B)
Tarragon Mushroom Filling:
- ¼ cup vegetable stock (low sodium & gluten free)
- 2 cups of each: onions & leeks, trimmed & minced
- 4 cups mushrooms, trimmed & sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-19oz. can chickpeas, rinsed, drained & slightly mashed
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. tarragon leaves, fresh, minced
- ½ tsp. each: cinnamon, nutmeg & cloves, ground
- Sea salt & pepper to taste
- ¼ cup almonds, slivered to garnish
- 8 sprigs tarragon, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and place rack on the bottom position.
- To make crust: Place flour and salt, to taste, in a food processor and pulse briefly. Add EVCO and “chia egg”. Pulse until mixture forms a ball. Press dough into a 9 inch pie plate. Bake for 8-12 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove from oven. Set aside. P.S. This crust can be used for other recipes, including pies, quiches etc.!!
- To prepare sauce: In the meantime, place water in a small stockpot and bring to a boil on medium-high heat. Add cranberries, beets, maple syrup and chia seeds. Lower temperature to low-medium and let simmer for 3-4 minutes. Set aside.
- To prepare filling: Add vegetable stock, onions and leeks to a large stockpot on medium-high heat. Healthy sauté for 1-2 minutes then add mushrooms, garlic, chickpeas, mustard, tarragon, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, salt and pepper, to taste, stirring for an additional 2-3 minutes to infuse all flavors. With a slotted spoon, add mushroom mixture and return to oven for 10-15 minutes or until all is warmed, if not serving immediately. Serve with sauce, garnish with almond slivers and a few sprigs of tarragon. Super Yummy!!!
Nutritional Facts : Calories 220 | Total Fat 1.5 g | Saturated Fat 0.2 g | Monounsaturated fat 0.5 g | Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g | Cholesterol 0 mg | Sodium 44 mg | Potassium 98.5 mg | Total Carbohydrate 20 g | Dietary Fiber 5.1 g | Natural Sugar 20.6 g | Protein 7 g | *Vitamin E 27.1 % | *Vitamin C 52 % | * Vitamin A 50 % | *Iron 14 %
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Leave a Reply