Welcome to the exciting world of Naturopathic Medicine in Ottawa
What is Naturopathic Medicine?
Medically Trained, Naturally Focused
Naturopathic Medicine is a distinct primary health care system of medicine that blends modern scientific knowledge with traditional and natural forms of medicine. It stimulates the body’s innate self-healing mechanisms using the least harmful and most effective approaches to restore and maintain optimal health. Naturopathic Doctors (NDs) have a minimum of seven year’s post-graduate training, with four of those years studying naturopathic family medicine. Naturopathic Doctors diagnose, treat and manage patients of all ages with a focus on disease prevention and health promotion that is tailored to each person. This philosophy empowers individuals to take an active role in their health.
Naturopathic medicine is covered by most extended health plans including Sunlife, Great West and Manulife.
Naturopathic therapies include: lifestyle and preventive medicine; clinical nutrition; tailored supplementation; botanical medicine; physical medicine; acupuncture and Asian medicine, and homeopathic medicine. Naturopaths provide family health care to support many health conditions including but not limited to: allergies and intolerances, anti-aging, anxiety, athletic performance, autoimmune diseases (lupus, Crohn’s, colitis, scleroderma, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, brain health, children’s health, cancer, cardiovascular disease, depression, digestion, fatigue, fertility, hormone imbalances, insomnia, Lyme disease, men’s health mood disorders, pain, skin (acne, eczema, psoriasis, rosacea) stress management, weight management, women’s health and more.
Naturopaths provide patients with comprehensive consultations that include a review of goals, health history, physical exams, current tests from a targeted “optimal” vs “normal” range and the recommendation for additional integrative laboratory studies. These tests complement the tests that have been performed to-date by your medical team to assess the underlying cause of disease or imbalance in health.
As no two people are alike, your Naturopathic Doctor will then provide you with a tailored plan that includes, the resources, and support to integrate lifestyle changes and natural therapies that address you as a “whole
person” – in body, lifestyle, and mind.
The 6 Guiding Principles of Naturopathic Medicine are
- First Do No Harm – A naturopath prioritizes therapies that are
natural, gentle, non-invasive, effective and minimize adverse side effects. Thus, a naturopathic doctor may recommend the elimination of food intolerances as the first step to reducing inflammation for an individual with arthritis.
- The Healing Power of Nature – Naturopathic doctors strive to identify and remove obstacles to health, allowing the body’s innate power to heal through its internal vitality and intelligence. For a client who is struggling with weight loss due to high cortisol levels due to stress, a naturopath may use acupuncture to reset the body.
- Identify and Treat the Cause – The naturopathic doctor strives to discover and remove the underlying causes of disease, rather than to suppress the symptoms. Symptoms are an external manifestation of an internal imbalance. For example, if a headache is caused by
food intolerances and hormone imbalance a naturopath would focus on addressing these vs using a pain killer for long-term care.
- Heal the Whole Person – Naturopathic medicine focuses on a tailored therapy plan for the whole-person vs treatment for the disease. It is more important to know what type of patient has a disease rather than what sort of disease a patient has. Thus, if one is experiencing digestive concerns linked to an infection, poor eating habits and stress, a naturopath would address all aspects of the individual.
- Doctor as Teacher –Naturopathic doctors facilitate health by educating their patients and empowering them to take responsibility for their health. Naturopaths commonly will review one’s nutrition and help teach whole food approaches to include in a healthy lifestyle which cascade into many health benefits.
- Prevention is the Best Cure – Naturopaths emphasize being proactive with disease prevention by assessing risk factors and promoting natural interventions to restore health and prevent illness vs waiting to be reactive when disease arises. Thus, a naturopath would recognize a functional imbalance in thyroid health i.e. cold
body temperature, hoarse voice, fatigue, and weight gain with a high normal vs optimal TSH test and provide support to prevent future hypothyroidism.
Competence and respect for tradition, the scientific method, and innovation are hallmarks of naturopathic medical practice. All the naturopathic doctors at Revivelife have completed their pre-medical sciences, graduated from an accredited naturopathic medical college, are board-certified, continually strive for higher excellence in learning and innovations in health care and are members of the Ontario Association of Naturopathic Doctors.
Your naturopath is dedicated to collaborating with you and your other health care providers to promote your path to true wellness through an improved lifestyle with delicious and nutritious whole foods, fitness and naturopathic therapies that support a lifetime of joy, wisdom, balance, empowerment, and health.
To learn more about naturopathic medicine visit the Canadian Association of Naturopathic Doctors.